It’s been said that when we are depressed, we are thinking about the past; when we are anxious, we are thinking about the future; but when live in the present, we can actually have peace.
Living in the present takes discipline and strength. To tame our thoughts and bring them under the loving, strong hand of God is not for the faint of heart. It’s tough work!
Here are five steps to get you going:
1. Pray. Prayer is a discipline that opens the door for peace (Philippians 4:6–7).
2. Present. Choose the present, not the past or the future (Matthew 6:34).
3. Thank. Inventory what you are grateful for in life (1 Thessalonians 5:18).
4. Think. Think about life-giving stuff (Philippians 4:8).
5. Breathe. Deeply. Repeat (Psalm 4:8).
©2012 Thomas Nelson, Inc.
Order your own copy of More Than a Bucket List